httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] dso question
Date Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:27:45 GMT
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Aaron Sturm wrote:

> When compiling apache, for every module I use I always make them shared. For
> example, --enable-mod_ssl=shared.
>
> Is there a benefit or any difference if I don't specify shared?

Apache will start up slightly faster if you have modules built static
rather than shared. Very slightly. There is no difference while running.
So this is largely a question of preference and convenience. If you
frequently rebuild individual modules, then making them shared makes
things a little easier. If you want to have a lot of modules on hand,
but enable or disable them at will, then shared makes this easier too.

Some modules don't play nice as DSOs. For example, I've been told at
various times that mod_perl, mod_php, and mod_gzip should be built
static rather than shared, and this is what ApacheToolbox does when you
use it to build for you. But I don't really have any details on that.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New