httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Wort <...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] non default ports
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:25:56 GMT

The only way you can get around the blocked port 80 is to redirect before
it reaches the gateway that is blocking port 80. If you have access to a
machine on the net that can and will redirect the request you could change
DNS to point to that machine and have it redirect the request to your
site. You might contact your ISP about not blocking port 80 to your IP
address but they probably don't allow you to run a server anyway. :^)

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, ncool007 wrote:

> i looked through the archives and found a few fragmented posts on port
> redirection etc but i was wondering if someone could list all the known
> ways to get around running an http server on a different port than
> 80.  basically my isp blocks port 80, probably because of code red scares,
> so I run an http server on port 1101.  is there any way I can have someone
> type in www.mydomain.com and have it automatically forward to
> www.mydomain.com:1101 and for the user to never see it?  I own two true
> domains with register.com, I don't have my own in house dns server.  Apache
> 2.0.43.  It's running on a small home network with a linksys router, no
> cisco stuff here.  thanks.
>
> dan

=        Inkling Research Inc.      =
=    Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com   =