httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Koen Vingerhoets" <koen.vingerho...@ubench.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache - database locks
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:56:21 GMT
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Reboot = restart Apache... I use the rotatelogs built in Apache and I guess
it just restarts Apache.  I use the standard thingies as I have no idea how
to change the Linux ones.  I built my own (and shared it with users on this
list already :) for Windows, but I'm stuck on the Linux thingie.

I don't actually restart it... as said, I moved rotatelogs from cron.daily
to cron.weekly, and that's about it :s  Can I alter the rotatelogs to
restart gracefull?

Coding in the flag is a workaround rather then a solution :s
I'll consider adding it if there is no other way... problem is that people
are playing it 24/24, 7/7...  There is no good shutdown time :(

Thanks,

Koen

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Coby [mailto:jcoby@listingbook.com]
Sent: 09 December 2002 16:51
To: users@httpd.apache.org; koen.vingerhoets@ubench.com
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache - database locks

> I configured Apache to reboot once a week... on friday.
> It runs on a RedHat server, it's dedicated and we have root.

Why reboot it?

> EVERY friday our game crashes, we use LOCKS on the tables to avoid a
couple
> of bugs...
>
> So what happens is:
> people click, tables are locked
> apache terminates connection
> apache restarts, and the locked tables can't be unlocked anymore, and are
> eventually deleted by MySQL...
>
> Is there a way to avoid this??? Either to stop Apache from a complete
> restart, or to lift any LOCKS on the tables... I'm quite puzzled on this
> one...  It's by far the last thing that's bothersome :(

If you just want to restart apache, and not the computer itself, you could
gracefully restart apache.  This will finish any active connections while
not allowing new ones.

Another option is to code your game so that it looks for a flag that says
"the server is going down soon, please release locks and let the users know"
Turn this flag on a reasonable time beforehand, wait, shutdown Apache,
restart, turn off the flag, resume normal ops.

-Jacob