httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Travis Miller" <greenie2...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Having problems installing Apache2 under XP
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 02:04:08 GMT
Hi everybody...

I'm looking for a little help. Hope someone can point me in the right
direction.

I'm trying to install Apache 2.0.43 under Windows XP Pro. The .msi package
installs fine, but then when I try to browse to http://localhost/, IE just
spins and spins and eventually times out. The same thing happens if I try
http://127.0.0.1/.

When I check the error log, I see a few hundred copies of the same error
message:

[Sat Dec 07 20:45:42 2002] [error] (730038)An operation was attempted on
something that is not a socket.  : winnt_accept: AcceptEx failed. Attempting
to recover.

These are being added to the log at the rate of about 6 per second during
the time the browser is looking for localhost. A Google search reveals that
it's a Winsock error, but since I'm no Windows jockey I'm not sure what to
make of that. I do know that I have Winsock v2.0 since I'm running XP.

I read on the Apache site that you have to install XP Service Pack 1 before
installing Apache, so I uninstalled Apache, applied the service pack, and
reinstalled Apache...and it's still doing the same thing.

I poked around the Services control panel in Windoze, but I couldn't find
anything that seems to be interfering. I don't have a firewall and disabling
McAfee doesn't help. AFAIK IIS isn't installed. And I just reinstalled XP a
few days ago, so it's pretty fresh.

Any ideas?? When I installed Apache 1.3 under Win2K, I was able to browse
localhost immediately, and according to the docs, v2.0 should be the same
way.

I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions...thanks for reading!

greenie2600 at hotmail dot com
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/