httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Webster <eudo...@freeuk.com>
Subject [users@httpd] User tracking via logging
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:32:01 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to get individual user tracking using cookies (don't like
the idea of url re-writing for this project) but I can't seem to
identify an individual browser session, which is what cookies, I
thought, are supposed to provide (mostly).

I have in my virtual host:

LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.soServerName .
mydomain.com
CookieDomain .mydomain.com
#CookieExpires "1 weeks"
#CookieName mycookie
CookieStyle Cookie2
CookieTracking on
CustomLog "C:/WebSite/clickstream.log" "%{cookie}n %r %t"

And was expecting to get a unique identifier with each browser session
which I could use to track a n individual's movements through my site
over a number of visits.  However, the typical output in my clickstream.
log is:

80.192.223.164.1039544782255073 GET /page1.shtml HTTP/1.1 [10/Dec/2002:
18:26:22 +0000]
80.192.223.164.1039544782705721 GET /page2.shtml HTTP/1.1 [10/Dec/2002:
18:26:22 +0000]

etc.etc.  This is not particularly helpful because I would like to be
able to write a script or some such thing which will break the log down
and allow me to see the path each user individually has taken through
my site.

Could anyone tell me where I've gone wrong and what I might do to get
the desired result please?      I'd like to write the script to inspect
the output myself, as it will be in Java.

Thanks,

Matt.

--
Matthew Webster - 07984 164 535