httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Webster <eudo...@freeuk.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] CGI not running or Object not found
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:01:59 GMT
1) I shall put the ScriptAlias in then.
2) I am running Windows XP.
3a) - What do you want to happen?
I just want the script to run as expected, ie: to execute and display
on the web browser it's output.

3b)- what do you do?
A huge list of things.  Just general messing around with directives to
try to get it to work.  Then put it back as it was when it last worked
as best it could.

3c)- what actually happens?
I just get an error message.  It's as if it doesn't know how to run the
script.  But I can't figure out how to tell it what to do with it.

I've tried CGIMapExtension and even though that is supposed to be a
core directive Apache has no idea what it is.

>The first problem is that I cannot get a directory listing
>generated of
>the cgi-bin directory if the ScriptAlias directive is used.

1)
That's not a problem - that's how it works. You are not supposed to
list
a CGI directory or people could download your CGI programs which would
be very unsafe (also, apache wouldn't know whether to execute or list
the file).

>The second problem is that I get:
>
>The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete
>your request.
>Error message:
>couldn't create child process: 720003: hello.pl

2)
This is odd. What OS are you running?

>when trying to access the very simple and definately correct
>'hello.pl'
>Perl script within the cgi-bin directory.  I have the Perl executable

>in the system PATH (I am using Windows XP).

ah. No idea.

>I can sometimes get an 'Object not found' message, when messing around

>with the last directives in the <directory> block.

Well, yeah.. If you mess around anything can happen. Could you be more
specific?
3a)
- What do you want to happen?
3b)