httpd-users mailing list archives

From stuff <st...@colony.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Access Log file analysis software?
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:15:43 GMT
Hi,

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 09:35 PM, Liu, Jack wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We are using WebTrend Analysis for analyze the access log file.
> Generally
> speaking, it is good. However,  we have 2 problem with it.
>   1. If the IP address is not resolved, the IP address displayed as is.
> --- We want to display some compay who own the IP address.
>   2. About the region info of the IP address, "region is unspecified"
> for
> most of the hits in WebTrend report. -- Since every IP address has
> owner,
> each owner has its address, the region info can be obtained
> technically.
>   If somebody know other piece of software which can do that, please
> do let
> me know.

I just started (last night in fact) using awstats. I had been looking
at it for awhile and just finally took the time to get it setup on my
server. A free very nice looking tool. With the option geoIP software
installed (still working on that myself) it has an IP database which is
updated I believe monthly and checks the IP address against this db for
the actual country.

The company that makes the geoIP software (not related to the guy that
wrote awstats) also has commercial verisons which attempt to get down
to US state and region level also - for a fee of course.

awstats - http://awstats.sourceforge.net

>   Thanks.
>
>   JLIU

Dale