httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bishop, Dean" <dean.bis...@tcdsb.org>
Subject [users@httpd] how do i leave only DocumentRoot open; all other directories requ ire Auth
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:41:36 GMT
Good morning,

	i am trying to set up a site in such a way that everything requires
Authentication with the sole exception of the DocumentRoot.

	The goal is to provide a simple index.html at the DocumentRoot with
links to the rest of the site.  Only if the visitor tries to access one of
the links (a directory in my web site) does he/she get prompted for
Authentication.

	i can easily add Authentication for everything, and likewise remove
Authentication for everything using <Direcotory /document/root> directives.
i understand that .htaccess files have higher precidence (i have
AllowOverride=all and have tried authconfig too) but cannot seem to find a
syntax for .htaccess that removes the authentication requirement for only
the DocumentRoot.

	The only option i can see is to create .htaccess files for every
directory in my site _except_ my DocumentRoot.

	Please, someone tell me i am missing something.

Apache 1.3.23 on Redhat 7.3 (all up2date).

thanks in advance,
dean