httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joseph Griffin" <jgrif...@pclnet.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie Installing Apache From Source
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:06:51 GMT
The best link I have found for installing apache so far is:
http://www.openna.com/documentations/articles/apache/index.php?e=0,1

Joseph
  -----Original Message-----
  Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 12:56 AM
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Subject: [users@httpd] Newbie Installing Apache From Source

  I am new to Linux and have decided to install everything from source in
order to get a handle on using Linux in general.
  I installed Red Hat 8.0 with almost nothing extra (using the GUI install).
I downloaded httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz and took the following steps:

  1. tar zxvf httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz

  2. cd httpd-2.0.43

  3. ./configure --prefix=/etc/

  After a bunch of system output, I see

  checking for chosen layout ....... apr

  checking for gcc ... no

  checking for cc ... no

  checking for cc ... no

  checking for cl ... no

  Configure:error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

  Configure failed for srclib/apr

  Not knowing what the above really means, I still tried

  Make

  I then get the following:

  Make: *** No targets specified and Makefile not found. Stop.

  Now I don't know if this would help, but there is a MAKEFILE,in file in
the new httpd directory in my tmp directory.

  I have idea what's going on.  My assumption is that if I can get the
./configure to work and the make install to work, I'll have my Apache
installed to /etc/httpd  Is this correct and why am I getting the above
errors?

  Thanks in advance,

  Jonathan