httpd-users mailing list archives

From <li...@kentane.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Virtual host problems
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:13:21 GMT
Hi.
Stupid question,
Can you suggest a painless, less error prone way for me to change the
main standalone server to a virt host?

-----Original Message-----
From: Zac Stevens [mailto:zts@cryptocracy.com]
Sent: 13 December 2002 13:09 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Virtual host problems

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:58:07PM +0200, lists@kentane.net wrote:
> The testing I tried was with a web browser. The default page I am
> talking about is the one of the main apache config. I get the page
> entitled "Test Page for the Apache Web Server on Red Hat Linux"

Ahh okay.  You'll probably find life easier if you configure all of the
sites as VirtualHosts.  Many strange problems can be found when mixing
VirtualHosts with standalone config.

If you'd like to test the theory out, try changing the VirtualHosts to
be on a different port to the main server.  If they work fine then, you
can be satisfied that changing your main server into a virtualhost will
fix the problem.

> The hostname is not a DNS registered name yet. I have put the name in
> my hosts file. I even tried putting it in the hosts file of the apache

> server as well, that did not help.

Putting it into the hosts file on your PC should be enough to test.
Adding it to the server can make life simpler, and is required if you
are using hostsnames in places where Apache requires an IP address.

Zac