httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Putnam <d...@mindspring.com>
Subject [users@httpd] 2nd request for info
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:57:30 GMT

I don't know if my first request made it through as I am a new subscriber
but it generated no replies so I'll try again with apologies if this is a
double post.

As an Apache newbie I apparently do not understand the <directory>
hierarchy. There must be some simple minded piece of information that I
have not assimilated but everyone else takes for granted.

For reference, assume Apache 1.3.27 running on Windows ME and the following
directory tree:

C:\httpd\apache\htdocs\   <-------- DocumentRoot
    index.html
    .
    .
    phpappls\
       setup.php
        .
        .
    .
    .
C:\httpd\apache\users\
        .
        .

I am using the vanilla httpd.conf distributed with Apache and have only
made the minimum changes necessary to get Apache working. Both Apache and
PHP are working out of the box. However, now that I am trying to customize
it, I am mostly clueless. Using the example in the distribution conf file:

1) Since \httpd\apache\users\ is one level higher, then back down, from
DocumentRoot, what URL do I use? If http://localhost accesses DocumentRoot,
how do I get one level higher? Was the example designed for Unix and they
expect a link to it in the DocumentRoot? At least in windows I don't see
how it can work.

2) When I tried the following simple <Directory> container:

    <Directory "C:/httpd/apache/htdocs/phpappls">
       Deny from All
    <Directory>

   I had expect this to be "Forbidden" to everyone (I'll add authentication
later). However, that directory is accessible by anyone. What am I not
understanding?

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution as much as looking for an
explanation of how and why what works, works. The documentation from Apache
is apparently making an assumption about knowledge I don't have. TIA.

Dennis Putnam		Public Key can be obtained from:
Loganville, Ga.		<http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/8573>