httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Putnam <d...@mindspring.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Newbie needs help
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:06:25 GMT
I apologize in advance for my denseness but I am just not understanding
the &lt;Directory&gt; directives and hierarchy. Can someone please point
me to an &quot;Apache Directives for Dummies&quot; document? The normal
documentation and tutorials I have found are not sinking in.<br><br>
In the event one does not exist I'll explain my question in the hopes
someone will have mercy. :-)<br><br>
I'm running Apache 1.3.27 on Windows ME.<br><br>
I am using the vanilla distribution version of httpd.conf with the
exception of filling in the appropriate DocumentRoot value. My directory
tree is as follows:<br><br>
&quot;C:/httpd/apache/htdocs&quot; &lt;-----DocumentRoot
<dl>
<dd>&quot;index.html&quot;
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; .
<dd>&quot;special folder&quot;
<dl>
<dd>&quot;setup.php&quot;

</dl>
</dl>With everything vanilla, it works as I expected including PHP. I
then added the following directive to httpd.conf:<br><br>
&lt;Directory &quot;C:/httpd/apache/htdocs/special folder&quot;&gt;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Deny from All<br>
&lt;/Directory&gt;<br><br>
I will add specific accesses later when I get this figured out. Given the
above, access to &quot;setup.php&quot; is granted to anyone anyway. I
thought the &quot;Deny from All&quot; would prohibit access by everyone.
My expectation was that a link to &quot;setup.php&quot; in
&quot;index.html&quot; would result in the &quot;Forbidden&quot; error
page. Obviously I am not understanding the hierarchy of these directives
and need help.<br><br>
Also, in the default httpd.conf there is an example of a user directory
that is one level above the DocumentRoot directory
(&quot;C:\httpd\apache\users&quot;). If
accesses the DocumentRoot, how does one specify a URL that is higher in the tree then root?
I tried playing with this as well and couldn't get it to work.<br><br>
TIA<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Key can be obtained from:</div>
Loganville, Ga.<x-tab>&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&lt;<a
href="http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/8573" EUDORA=AUTOURL>http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/8573</a>&gt;