httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache access problem
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:43:58 GMT
>From: Wasiuddin Rajesh [mailto:rajesh@ThePerfectIsp.Net]
>
>Thanks for your mail, my problem arriesed, when i want to assign a
>directory in the documentroot, to a specific user only. thats a MRTG
>site. there will be number of different directory in the document root,
>and number of users to view the their own directorys contents. a user
>should not access another users mrtg site. thats what i am looking
>for. presently i configured the apache, but after putting login &
>password, the user is able to view all the other users site too..
>pls help

You can put a separate authentication "realm" on every directory you
want to protect, e.g.

DocumentRoot /home/users

<Directory /home/users/fred>
  AuthUserFile /home/admin/fred.pwd
  AuthName "Fred"
  AuthType Basic
  Require valid_user
</Directory>

<Directory /home/users/joe>
  AuthUserFile /home/admin/joe.pwd
  AuthName "Joe"
  AuthType Basic
  Require valid_user
</Directory>

etc..

Each .pwd file contains just the username and password for the user who
accesses that directory. N.B., you can also put these directives in a
.htaccess file in each directory.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.