httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Specific Configuration
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:13:52 GMT
There are two ways you can go - depending on whether you want to declare
many aliases for your IP in DNS...

(1) If you do not mind paying for many Domain-Names which resolve to
your IP, then:

Use Name-based VirtualHosts, like this (assume your IP = 192.168.1.1 and
your sites are called www.site1.com, www.site2.com etc..):

	NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.1

	<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
	  ServerName www.site1.com
	  DocumentRoot /home/site1/html
	  ... etc.
	</VirtualHost>

	<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
	  ServerName www.site2.com
	  DocumentRoot /home/site2/html
	  ... etc.
	</VirtualHost>

(2) Alternatively, if you can have only one Domain Name, use Aliases to
separate the document roots, e.g. (assuming your FQDN is www.mysite.com)

	Listen 192.168.1.1
	ServerName www.mysite.com
	DocumentRoot /home/default/html

	Alias /site1 /home/site1/html
	<Directory /home/site1/html>
	  Allow from all
	</Directory>

	Alias /site2 /home/site2/html
	<Directory /home/site2/html>
	  Allow from all
	</Directory>

Now http://www.mysite.com/site1 will go to /home/site1/html etc. NB
/home/default/html is necessary - this is where www.mysite.com ends up
(you can just put a simple page there with links to the other sites).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.