httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] bizarre cgi stuff
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 08:13:17 GMT
To add to Zac's comments:

In a normal set-up, ScriptAlias and AddHandler are *alternative*
mechanisms. You don't use both*.

ScriptAlias says: "All the files in this directory are programs,
regardless of their extension. Execute them via CGI and do not list the
directory".

AddHandler says: "All the files with this extension are programs,
regardless of their location. Execute them via CGI.

Scriptalias is good because you don't have to bother about extensions.
Also, from a filesystem management POV, you can keep all your
executables in one directory which might be nice. AddHandler is good
because you don't have to bother about putting all your executables in
the one directory.

So pick one mechanism and concentrate on getting it to work - don't mix
and match or you (and apache) will just get confused.

Regarding your DirectoryIndex, you can set this in a ScriptAlias
directory but then it has to point to a dynamic file (i.e. a program) -
if it points to an HTML file, CGI will try to execute it and that
obviously won't work.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

*Before everyone writes back, I guess there are some peculiar
circumstances where you would want to use both but this would be a
fairly advanced and complicated situation. I am assuming the poster is
just starting out and simply wants to get a few progs running.

views of the sender's company.