httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSI: can't get it to work
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 07:50:00 GMT
>From: Madere, Colin [mailto:colin.madere@ieminc.com]
>

>Well I'll be damned.  The space was the problem.  This really
>didn't seem
>like it would matter since that's the HTML comment tag and I
>wouldn't have
>thought it would require the whole "<!--#" to be the token but
>now I know.

Aha! That's just what they expect you to think....

If you put a space after the <!-- then it *really* is a comment - even
to the SSI parser. The special trick of marking an SSI instruction with
<!--# means that the SSI parser recgnises it as an instruction but if,
for some reason (e.g. no SSI handler), it is not processed, the browser
continues to treat it as a comment and does not display the text.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.