httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authentication for virtual host
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 08:35:26 GMT
Authentication is triggered by directory accesses so putting the Auth*
directives in a directory container on the docroot will protect the
whole site. I'm not sure what you mean by "aliases outside the tree"...
You only authenticate once so after "logging in" to the homepage, it's
immaterial whether content comes from outside the docroot. On the other
hand, direct requests for resources under aliases will not lead to
filesystem accesses under the docroot so will not trigger
authentication. e.g.

ServerName banana
DocumentRoot /home/web/banana
<Directory /home/web/banana>