httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] directory and /directory directives
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:32:10 GMT

Paul Erkens wrote:
> This puts up another few questions.
>
> 1: What are overrides: what do these directives tell apache to override and
> where was the value to be overridden specified elsewhere?

options indexes is one item you would override in a directory,
or allow overrides, to enable an .htaccess / .htpassword to work.
the directory container is meant for making specific options work only
in specific directories, though you shouldn't remove the one about
cgi-bin / cgi [ anything with cgi in it be default ] since that will
kill your cgi capabilities until you replace what you removed. if you
want cgi that is.

> 2: what is httaccess? A file? A directive? A module? What does it do?
.htaccess is a file, left in the directory, where any alternate
directives can be kept.
the companion ( not required but also used for special configurations )
is .htpassword