httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] directory and /directory directives
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:51:25 GMT

Paul Erkens wrote:
> Can someone explain to me in normal words, what these directives do in
> httpd.conf? They allow or deny access to a directory, but between the
> <directory> and </directory> directives, a number of lines appear of which
> understand nothing yet, because the documentation is not straight-forward
> enough for me to get the idea.
>
> 1: What is the idea in general for allow,deny?
to use the directory directives you will also need to allow overrides,
but it work out to
<directory>
your overriding directives here
order allow deny
allow from all
</directory>
  this allows the .htaccess to override global configuration for this
directory only.
<directory>
your overriding directives here
order deny allow
deny from all
</directory>
this will remove a global configuration option for this directory.

if you globally allow indexes, but you don't want them in a specific
directory, that is when you would use them. ( or visa-versa )

> 2: What happens is I leave them out entirely?
the directory directive?
no effect.
the allow deny?
the directory directive and overrides have no effect, and you get an
error when starting apache.

> 3: Do I need any option directives in this container or can they be left
> out?

if you aren't going to use overriding directives, then it's best to not use
the directory directive.

Jaqui