httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christian Pohl <list-apache-us...@mail2news-gw.secaron.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Am I publishing anything?
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:30:37 GMT
SUSANA PUMAR PAVON wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I am new with Apache, maybe someone can help me. I have installed Apache as a server
on a Linux PC. The problem is that when I try on Internet I can't find the web. I don't know
where the problem is. The Apache is running, the port 80 is open, at least I think it is,
but I can't connect to the Linux making a telnet on port 80.

> Any idea?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Susana Pumar

Hi Susan,

on the machine where the apache is running:
    - ps -ef | grep httpd ---> this should print out (standard conf) 5
instances of httpd. If not: '<apacheinstallpath>\bin\apachectl start'
and see whats happening
    - if httpd runns: 'telnet localhost 80' (...connected...) GET
<Return><Return> ----> this should return something and exit telnet. if
not check your networkconfig. ifconfig -a there should be at least the
loopback interface if not. configure your network.

on a client (with telnet)
    - try to connect from a host in the same network (no gateway in
between) also telnet <ip> 80 as above. If there is no connecttion. check
networksettings again (netmask(s) of server/client etc.)
    - now go somewhere else (another network) and try it (with telnet
<ip> 80 if no connect: check the routing inside the net/on the host
(default gateway?).
    - is there a port-filter (firewall) between the networks?, routing?
    - webbrowser: proxy-configuration?

Hmmm. this should work.

Kind regards,

Chris