httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] could we use c replace perl in cgi program?
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:57:54 GMT
eric lin wrote:

> not yet to security, I ((and visitors )just want to see the data they
> fill in after they hit submit botton that can be displayed in the browser,
>
> I did not know whether is because in my /etc/apache/httpd.conf  I did
> not do enough load module especially with perl, so I can not catch the
> name and value of the form at first webpge they fill.
>
> looking for more hint and help

I saw your first example Perl script, and your C source.  I think I know
what you want to do.  Just pull all the variables submitted to the CGI
program and generate a page showing the name of the variable and it's
contents.  This shouldn't be too hard in Perl (and possible, but more
difficult in C).  I know you said you didn't want to have to code the
variables into your CGI program, you just wanted to know all the
parameters passed.

I'm saying you should code the parameters your program is expecting into
it.  I'd think there'd be some minor security issues about just looping
through all the parameters passed.  But also consider this.  You have
all the different items listed.  Sure, right now you just want to list
what was entered.  But as your application develops you'll want to
perform different types processing each of the parameters.  So you will
have to know ahead of time which ones contain what values.

I would recommend that you read up on CGI programming before you go much
farther.  The Apache list and the Debian list are not places for these
kinds of questions.  Just a quick Google found this site:
http://www.cgi-resources.com/  It looks like a pretty good place to
start, I'm sure you can find many other CGI resources on the Internet or
in book stores.

--
Chris