httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Boeckman <matth...@saepio.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] MaxClients > 255
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:21:18 GMT
> You don't want your server to start swapping.  It's a slow downward spiral
> from there until your server DOSes itself.  To get an idea of what you need
> in terms of ram, check out how much each process uses on average, subtract
> out the amount shared, and multiply that by the number of connections.
>
> For example avg(6 to 10mb per child) - 4mb shared * 80 max connections =
> 320mb required.  Say the server has 384mb of ram, which is more than the
> formula says is required.  However if it were to ever get 80 connections
> using the full 10+mb of ram, the server would go down.

ok so I've got 2GB of ram, of which about 1GB is free at any given time
which means that (if i understand you) have space for roughly 100
concurrent requests?

> You're upping the level because of training?  I would most definitly raise
> startservers, and spareservers because the load is probably going to be very
> spiky.  The presenter says "..and now click on the link that says .." and
> you've got 500 people clicking on the same thing, at the same time.

turns out it isn't training, I was misinformed. They are going to be
hitting it (everyone of the 400) a few times between 12 and 5, so it's a
crapshoot as to how many concurrent hits I will actually get... eitehr
way i"ll but start and spare just to be safe.

--
Matthew Boeckman			(816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration		Saepio Technologies