httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 13:44:35 GMT
Michael Klama wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a beginners How-To on
> setting up the Apache web server?  I need the basic info on how to set
> up the network coming into the web server, ie., Do I need a static IP,

No.

> Do I need to set up my own DNS Server,

No.

> Do I need to purchase a FQDN and if so who can I purchase it from without
> using their hosting service?

Not necessarily, but it makes life easier.  Without one you are pretty much
limited to addressing via IP address.  If you are on a dynamic IP, that really
would be a problem!  See below.

> Currently I have high speed cable going to a linksys router which
> assigns IP addresses to all of my systems.  Will I still be able to use
> this setup?

Yes.  That's pretty much what I have here at home, except I'm on DSL rather
than a cable modem.

> As you can see I have a lot of basic questions I need answered before I
> can start serving web pages to the internet.  Any advise would be
> greatly appreciated

Most of us started that way.

On my home server, I am running a Windows 2K Pro computer which sits on my
home LAN behind a LinkSys NAT router.  I have a dynamic IP from my ISP.  I
bought (leased actually) a domain using RackShare ( http://www.rackshare.com/
) which is costing me $11.00 per year.  A friend recommended them as a)
working, and b) cheap.  They have met both qualifications.  Because I have a
dynamic IP, I use DNS2Go ( http://dns2go.deerfield.com/ ) which used to be
free, but now (for new customers according to their website) is $19.95 per
year.  They had a special deal for existing free cutomers so for me it's only
$9.95.  DNS2Go loads a small client that chats with the DNS2Go system and
updates the IP address of my site.  If my site goes down for any reason,
DNS2Go will detect that and redirect requests to my site to an alternate
location - which in my case is a page on my Earthlink based website.  Overall,
DNS2Go works very well for me.

Using the Windows installer for Apache and pretty much all the defaults and
ansering all the questions during the install resulted in a working server.
Then it was just a matter of writing html pages.  There are some tweeks that
will be needed if you doing much fancy stuff, but the automatic install
resulted in an operational basic site.  You did not say what OS you will be
using.  I can't help you on a unix based system.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501