httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jack L. Stone" <jackst...@sage-one.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Under attack
Date Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:15:12 GMT
At 02:11 PM 12.22.2002 +0100, Koen Vingerhoets wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I tried it with iptables, but it didn't work... strangely enough.
>I used htaccess now to block the ip and redirect any requests to vitals.php
>to www.whitehouse.com
>Oh and vitals.php does freeze Iexplorer too... (and burns your CPU down)
>*coughs*
>Thanks for the advise :)
>
>Koen

If you really did that, your "fix" sounds as bad as the attack, especially
the redirecting of the hits which could easily be blocked via a single deny
firewall rule and the hits would vanish into vapor. Plus, those types of
attackes are sometimes (often) directed and disguised through some
unwittingly open domain, like a University not paying attention (as with
one I dealt with for 8 hours yesterday - the attacker had a complicated
script that ran throught the alphabet).

You should learn about firewalls.....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,