httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lukas Ruf <...@rawip.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Identifying a session
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:47:50 GMT

> Chris Taylor <chris@x-bb.org> [2002-12-28 00:50]:
>
> If you're thinking along the lines of htaccess login-type stuff,
> you're out of luck, it doesn't involve a session of any kind on the
> server, it's all controlled at the browser end, no SID is used or
> needed.

However, by the browser based identification, there must be something
like a hashed key, isn't it?  I mean, if my scripts get executed with
a valie REMOTE_USER name, I can be sure that the user has correctly
loged in, can't I?

> mod_usertrack lets you follow users, but I seem to remember cookies
> are essential. In fact, cookies are the best way to do this anyway,
> given that you need to be able to track multiple users from the same
> IP (like at a university). This would be pretty hard to implement
> purely server-side IMO :)

Is there somewhere any good explanation how to program with cookies?

Thanks!
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf