httpd-users mailing list archives

From imacat <ima...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content Negotiation with <DirectoryMatch> in Apache 2.0.43
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:23:44 GMT
On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:33:58 -0500 (EST)
Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, imacat wrote:
> > imacat@rinse ~ % ls /var/tmp/htdocs -l
> > total 12
> > -rw-r--r--    1 imacat   root          517 Dec 25 23:34 index.html.en
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 imacat   root           13 Dec 25 23:36 index.html.html ->
> index.html.en
>
> This symlink will be explicitly ignored, since you don't have Options
> FollowSymLinks turned on, as far as I can tell.

    Yes, you are right.  And it does not do anything at all here.  Lynx
does send a Accept-Language header.  There's no need to be a default
document.  It should be removed.

> What Accept headers is lynx sending? What do the associated entries in
> the access log look like?

imacat@rinse ~ % cat /usr/local/apache/htdocs/imacat/cgi-bin/dumphead.cgi
#! /bin/sh
echo "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII"
echo
set | grep ^HTTP_
imacat@rinse ~ % lynx -dump http://imacat/cgi-bin/dumphead.cgi
HTTP_ACCEPT='text/html, text/plain, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01'
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET='big5, iso-8859-1;q=0.01, us-ascii;q=0.01'
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING='gzip, compress'
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en
HTTP_HOST=imacat
HTTP_USER_AGENT='Lynx/2.8.4rel.1 libwww-FM/2.14 SSL-MM/1.4.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6g'

imacat@rinse ~ %

    I believe its "en" here.  The Accept-Charset has no effect here,
since there's no AddCharset in the configuration file.

> No, it should not, because that file is a symlink. Add
> Options +FollowSymlinks
> and see what happens.

    Yes, you are right. ^^;  I made a mistake at this point.  It's not
used anyway.

> > comment out <DirectoryMatch>:
> >
> >     And try again, I'll get:
> >
> > imacat@rinse ~ % lynx -dump http://rinse:50080/
> >                                    Test Page
> >
> >    This is a test page.
> > imacat@rinse ~ %
>
> OK, this makes no sense to me at all. An empty <DirectoryMatch> section
> should not have any effect on the results at all. I probably need to
> experiment with this some on my own server.

    Well, that's the whole point. ^_*'  My original configuration file
is far more complicated.  It's:

imacat@rinse ~ % wc -l /etc/apache/httpd.conf
    890 /etc/apache/httpd.conf
imacat@rinse ~ % cat /etc/apache/httpd.conf
<DirectoryMatch /usr/local/apache/htdocs/(wov|imacat|emandy|emily|htc)>
        ErrorDocument 400 /errors/400.html
        ErrorDocument 401 /errors/401.html
        ErrorDocument 403 /errors/403.html
        ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404.html
</DirectoryMatch>
imacat@rinse ~ %

    I certainly will not put the whole 890 lines here.  It makes no
sense to debug such a large file on this list.  I simplified the problem
as much as possible.  What I posted here (httpd2.conf-test) is the
simplest abstract that can work and demostrate this problem.

    I had suspected if the problem comes from ErrorDocument, but then I
was wrong.  An empty <DirectoryMatch> disables the content negotiation
of the directory index file, too.

    Of course, I can work around my own problem by having multiple
<Directory>s instead of a single <DirectoryMatch>.  But that makes my
configuration file more complicated.  Besides, I still consider this as
a problem that should be solved.  I wish to make clear what happens here.

> It is certainly not desired behavior. Try my suggestions, and I'll do
> some experimentation on this end, now that I have some free time
> available. I'll get back to you on this.

    Thank you. ^_*'

    By the way, type maps work here.  (Thanks to Irmund Thum. ^_*')   I
shall consider using it, since it is much faster, according to the
description.  But it is painful to add type maps, as I'm using content
negotiation throughout my websites.  Also, as I said above, I still
consider this as a problem that should be solved.  It does not work as
expected, according to the current documentation.  If this is indeed a
bug, there should be some fix on this.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*'