httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sagara Wijetunga <sagara...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Can DirectoryIndex launch a servlet?
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:21:52 GMT
Can DirectoryIndex launch a servlet?

I use Apache 2.0.39 on a Pentium III based PC server
running Red Hat Linux 8.0.

I need to launch a servlet running on the same server
for the DirectoryIndex.

The DirectoryIndex I used is as follows:
DirectoryIndex index.html /mywebapp/servlet/index

It seems Apache does not support it.

Apache can launch a cgi script without a problem when
used as follows:
DirectoryIndex index.html /cgi-bin/index.cgi

In SSI processing, I can include the output of a
servlet when used as follows:
<!--#include virtual="/mywebapp/servlet/myServlet" -->

So, why not support similar syntax in DirectoryIndex
to launch a servlet to generate the index page? In
case, if this feature is not supported or not
implemented yet, is there any possibility to get it
implemented soon?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Sagara