httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jose Celestino <j...@co.sapo.pt>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Huge number of VirtualHosts
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:09:37 GMT
Words by J. Greenlees [Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:29:35PM -0800]:
> ~lol~
> well maybe, but it does have some merits in answering the large virtual
> host question.
> and I did say might help. ;)

Yes, it was nice to re-read. The real question is:

Is anyone using such a kind of config in real life?

Well, I've made a small script to generate a httpd.conf with about 20
thousand virtual hosts (from /usr/share/dict/words) and it worked, after
some tuning to

/proc/sys/fs/file-max
bash ulimits
FD_SETSIZE

I just noticed a slow start (as one might expect), I monitored
/proc/HTTP_PID/fd/ and saw it all there but haven't made any serious
testing. A real production similar configuration, would be nice. Does it
suffer much in performance?

--
Jose Celestino | http://xpto.org/~japc/files/japc-pgpkey.asc