httpd-users mailing list archives

From ro...@differentpla.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess causes 500 Internal Server Error
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:01:31 GMT
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:06:52AM +0100, Boyle Owen wrote:

> I think the problem occurs when you get authenticated and the server
> tries to serve up secret/index.html. How come you get a 500 from a
> plain HTML file?

Good question. :)

> Is it really a plain HTML file?

Yep:

peculiar:/var/www/differentpla.net/html/secret> ls -al
total 16
drwxr-sr-x    2 roger    www          4096 Dec 16 17:16 ./
drwxr-sr-x    6 roger    www          4096 Dec 16 16:33 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 roger    www           178 Dec 16 17:16 .htaccess
-rw-r--r--    1 roger    www           175 Dec 16 16:37 index.html

peculiar:/var/www/differentpla.net/html/secret> cat index.html
<head>
<title>Secret Stuff</title>
body { font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 10pt; }
</head>

<h1>Psst, wanna hear a secret?</h1>

> Has it got something funny inside it? Do you have any redirects to
> CGIs or something?

Nope.  AFAICT, there's nothing freaky in the httpd.conf file causing
this kind of behaviour either.  Other CGIs (including
public_html/cgi-bin stuff) are working fine on the same virtual host.

> Also, who is user "notme" who appears in the logfile but not in the
> input?

That'll be me showing that the user/password dialog remains up if the
user/password is incorrect.  Thus proving that it _is_ authenticating
correctly, and that the problem is in serving the content.

> 500 is the response to the failure of a shell spawned by the server -
> usually as a result of a CGI call. So it is very odd to get one when you
> serve a plain HTML.

That's what I thought.

> Your AuthStuff is fine, by the way...

Thanks.  This leads me to suspect that something else is wrong, then.

Could it be that the directories are owned by roger.www, and that
Apache is running as www-data?  The relevant files/directories are
world-readable, so I don't see how it could cause a problem.

It appears to simply be a failure to handle 'require user foo' and
'require valid-user'.  It works fine with 'require group foo', which
is good enough for my purposes.  I was just wondering if I'd stumbled
across a bug.

Cheers,
Roger.