httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Betts <chrisbe...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] mysql connect problem on intranet using NameVirtualHost and hosts file
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:31:36 GMT
I am trying to use NameVirtualHost to allow me to serve several websites accross an intranet.
want to do this because I need to serve them all from the same ip address ... the ip address
of
the
pc on a p2p network running the apache server. Using :

Windows 98 running:
  Apache 1.3.12
  PHP    4.0.6
  MySQL  3.23.21-beta
& windows 2000 & 98 on othe networked PC's

Up untill now I have beeen using ip-based virtual hosts and this works fine if I only want
access the domains on the one server machine, but if I want to access them all via another
p2p pc
I only have one ip address available (the ip address of the apache server pc on the network)

All the mysql db's are accessable if I run directly on the apache server pc if I use ip-based
hosting ... so I know that mysql is setup ok.

I am using the windows Hosts file to point the domain names to the local server, so on each
pc I
have:

123.4.5.6 [url]www.sitea.com[/url]
123.4.5.6 [url]www.siteb.com[/url]
etc...

Note: 123.4.5.6 is really the ip address of the pc on the P2P network that is running the
apache
server.

When I switch to Name-Based virtual hosting, standard HTML & PHP pages work without problem
for
all virtual hosts, locally and across the network.

But when I try to connect to a website that has a database e.g.:
$connection = mysql_connect("www.siteb.com", "username", "password");

I get the error:
Unable to connect to MySQL server..1045
Access denied for user: 'mydbname@sitea.com' (Using password: YES)
            ????? sitea ... should be siteb ?????

It appears that mysql always tries to connect to the first site in my hosts file.

If I switch the order of the lines in the hosts file so that siteb is first then restart apache,
mysql & the browser and retry I can access siteb's db correctly (from www.siteb.com) ...
but now
not sitea's db (from www.sitea.com)!?!

             ~~~~~~~

this is the relevent apache http.conf

NameVirtualHost 123.4.5.6
#--------------------------------------------------------------------
    <VirtualHost 123.4.5.6>
    ServerName [url]www.sitea.com[/url]
    DocumentRoot c:/home/sitea/public_html
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ c:/home/sitea/cgi-bin/

    ServerAdmin [email]webmaster@sitea.com[/email]
    ErrorLog logs/www.sitea.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/www.sitea.com-access_log common
    </VirtualHost>

#--------------------------------------------------------------------
    <VirtualHost 123.4.5.6>
    ServerName [url]www.siteb.com[/url]
    DocumentRoot c:/home/siteb/public_html/merlin
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ c:/home/siteb/cgi-bin/

    ServerAdmin [email]webmaster@siteb.com[/email]
    ErrorLog logs/www.siteb.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/www.siteb.com-access_log common
    </VirtualHost>
etc...

Is there a fix to let mysql use name-based V.hosting?

or does this point to some other boob i've made?

or am I missing something in the network setup that will either allow me to access each domain
using ip-based V.Hosting from another PC on the network ...

for ip-based I think I need to either :

setup a DNS for this
... if so do you know of any good (i.e. simple!) guides that could help?

or I could assign multiple ip addresses to the network card and
then I could attach each name to its own ip address
... this is messy as unfortunatly the server is a WIn98 PC and it requires a bit of a registry
hack to assign multiple ip addresses to a network card.

Thanks (and sorry for the long posting)

Chris

=====
Chris Betts