httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual host problems
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:08:59 GMT
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:58:07PM +0200, lists@kentane.net wrote:
> The testing I tried was with a web browser. The default page I am
> talking about is the one of the main apache config. I get the page
> entitled "Test Page for the Apache Web Server on Red Hat Linux"

Ahh okay.  You'll probably find life easier if you configure all of the
sites as VirtualHosts.  Many strange problems can be found when mixing
VirtualHosts with standalone config.

If you'd like to test the theory out, try changing the VirtualHosts to be
on a different port to the main server.  If they work fine then, you can be
satisfied that changing your main server into a virtualhost will fix the
problem.

> The hostname is not a DNS registered name yet. I have put the name in my
> hosts file. I even tried putting it in the hosts file of the apache
> server as well, that did not help.

Putting it into the hosts file on your PC should be enough to test.  Adding
it to the server can make life simpler, and is required if you are using
hostsnames in places where Apache requires an IP address.

Zac