httpd-users mailing list archives

From grenoml <gren...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Slow response - Apache 2.0
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:13:16 GMT
  I read through a lot of the documentation and tried searching the
mailing list and read a few posts that also talked about some slow
performance under certain conditions but nothing that really seemed to
deal with the problem that I'm seeing.  So here's the problem:
  I've built and installed a default installation of Apache 2.0.43
under Cygwin(1.3.17) on a Win2000 box (1.6Ghz P4, 512M RAM, 150GB
disk).  I'm noticing that sometimes it is taking 15-20 secs to bring up
a local page on my domain.  For example right after I installed Apache2
and brought up the http://localhost welcome page and clicked on
documentation it took a long time for the documentation page to appear.
 Also when I clicked on the very first link on the documentation page
it again took 15-20 secs for the page to appear.  Now I can click on
any other link on the documentation page and they instantly appear
except that if I hit reload on any page it again takes about 15-20 secs
to load the page.  Is Apache2 doing some type of reverse DNS lookups or
something?  I checked the access_log and I see IP addresses at the
beginning of the lines.  The weird thing is that if I use IP instead of
a domain-name I get the exact same behavior.  So can someone tell me
what I may need to be configured in the 'default' Apache2 configuration
to cure this?

Thanks,
Gerry Reno