httpd-users mailing list archives

From Renato Salles <maill...@brturbo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Significance of ServerName in httpd.conf
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:45:16 GMT
Em Qua 11 Dez 2002 18:48, Johnson, Garrett escreveu:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I'm not sure I understand what actually happens when I set the ServerName
> parameter in httpd.conf.  What is this supposed to be set to?
>
> If my computer's IP is:
>
> 123.456.78.90
>
> and I've got DNS pointing the name:
>
> my.server.com
>
> at it, is the ServerName "my.server.com"?  "server.com"?  "my"?
>
> Keeping in mind of course, that www.server.com, and xxx.server.com are
> taken by other boxes...
>
> Thanks!

Well, if you're in Linux, type:
$ domainname -d
What you get is the name of your domain (fully qualified or not ,i t depends).

When you type:
$ hostname -d
What you get is , also, the name of your domain.

When you type:
$ hostname
	without the -d flag, the first name, counting from the left to the right, is
the server name.

*(Continuing) the mostleft is the servername, then the domainname, and the
rest (ex.: ".com.au") is the TLD - top level domain.

The next lesson, we'll see how to explode the monolitic servername directive
into several different servernames (related directly to Apache or not) with
CNAMEing the server in the DNS server config files (say,
/var/named/domainfile).
But not here, 'cause this list is only fort Apache.

Sds,

Renato

--

Fui!