httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] bizarre cgi stuff
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 01:04:00 GMT
Hi Matthew,

Generally speaking, you're going to need to include the relevant parts of
your configuration to get a good answer.  However, you seem to
misunderstand the use of some of these directives.

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:38:36PM +0000, Matthew Webster wrote:
> This is all rather odd to my mind.  I thought that the AddHandler would
> let scripts get executed and ScriptAlias (as one method) would indicate
> WHERE they should be executed.  Anywhere else they would just be normal
> files.

AddHandler lets you specify the handler to be used for a particular type of
file, defined by the extension.  ie, that all '.pl' files are to be handled
by the CGI engine.  I believe this is what you are presently using.

ScriptAlias is an extension of the Alias directive which also causes all
requests made through the ScriptAlias to be invoked as CGI. ie,

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/

would map any requests for "http://test.com/cgi-bin/<foo>" to
"/var/www/cgi-bin/<foo>", and would treat the later path as a CGI program
to be executed.

HTH,

Zac