httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Williams <jus...@naturalwebs.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:22:25 GMT
Here's the scoop on DNS, in a very small nutshell:

Remember old television?  The Adams Family?  Remember their address?  Bear
with me here..  this is old stuff...  They lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
So, keep that relationship in mind: Adams Family's House = 1313 Mockingbird
Lane.  Now Gomez and Thing most assuredly did not share teh same residence in
that house, right?  Thing crashed in a cigar box...

So, Consider Lurch to be your web server, Apache.  Apache keeps track of where
Gomez and Thing both live.  Seperate rooms.  If a visitor comes to the house
to visit Gomez, Lurch took the visitor to the library, or torture room, or
wherever Gomez was.  If that visitor wanted to see Thing, Lurch too them to
smoke a cigar...

With me so far?

So Lurch = Apache
Gomez = Web 1.
Thing = Web 2.
1313 Mockingbird Lane = IP Address of both websites.

Now, think about small towns in America.  Almost invariably, there is one old
busybody who knows everything about everybody.  That busybody is the DNS.  A
visitor to the town asks that busybody where Gomez Adams lives, and gets
pointed to 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Likewise, a packet on the net looking for web 1, gets pointed by the DNS to
the IP address.
Apache (Lurch) resides on that IP address, as well, and, when that packet
arrives looking for Gomez, Lurch (Apache) takes him to the right room (the
directory where Web 1 is housed).

For the record, yes, this is exactly how I describe the process in my Web
Design and Management class...  ;-)