httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OT Answering mail--without causing pain
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:11:34 GMT
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:47:02AM -0500, Kyle wrote:
> I object to the idiocy of 2.3 from the site you mentioned.  I have over
> 600 e-mails to go through today.  I don't have time to scroll down to
> the bottom of every one of them to see the replies.  Replies should
> ALWAYS be at the top so they are seen when you step through your mails.

I don't think it's fair to decry that point as 'idiocy' - on the contrary,
it's a logical, thought-out position.  While you do have a good point in
favour of top-posting, you don't do yourself any favours by namecalling.
That having been said, on the balance of things I don't think it's a
compelling argument for top posting.

If you find yourself needing to scroll through a lot of text to find
respondant.  Or you are looking at a response to a particularly long
message and the replies are inline with the quoted text.  Two wrongs don't
make a right here - top posting 'fixes' one problem with a different
problem.

At the end of the day, no-one is forcing you to peruse the entire text of
each of the 600 messages you receieve.  Personally, I tend to favour
reading the last few additions to a given thread and rely on good quoting
to provide context.  If it seems necessary after that, I may choose to go
back and read the thread in its entirety.

In my experience, top-posting is a hindrance to discussion.  While it
doesn't cause major problems in the first reply, it's all downhill from
there.

Just my (not-so-) humble opinion,

Zac