httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Diehl <mdi...@dominion.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 01:51:55 GMT
On Sunday 01 December 2002 10:26 pm, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
     > as for ddclient being easy...it MIGHT be easy if you know what you are
     > looking at, but I found it rather intimidating, but it IS out there to
     > use so you can update your stuff at dyndns.org (as well as others). I

I didn't find it hard to set up.  If you have questions, let me know.  I'll
try to help you.

     > don't need it because unless my I-net connection goes down, my IP
     > doesn't change so I can just log in every few days (sometimes I do so
     > everyday just for the hell of it) and compare what it see's as my

You are working WAY too hard.

     > current IP with what's listed. So far I've only had to update once
     > (although my ISP tells my router I only have a 6 day lease, hehe) in
     > almost two months (I can't remember if it was October or September we
     > had our last service outtage).

This is the nature of DHCP.  But your ISP could change policy and give you a
4 HOUR lease.  Then you might have problems.  Besides, you should be able to
get to your web/mail server no matter what your ISP's policy is....

--
Mike Diehl
PGP Encrypted E-mail preferred.