httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Ricker <bric...@wellinx.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] should I use apache http server?
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:24:19 GMT
Although is better as a post to the Tomcat-users list, I will give you
the Standard Response (TM):

1) It all depends on your needs. If you serve a lot of static content on
top of dynamic content, then Apache will work better. It is much more
scalable and secure, for the most part, then Tomcat's web server.

2) If you want to brak off Tomcat from the web part and use
load-balancing and failover for ASP model architectures, you need to use
Apache and the JK connector. This depends on your architecture needs.

3) If your site uses other dynamic content besides Java servlets (i.e.,
SSI (you naughty person), CGI, etc.), Apache is THE prgram to use. Any
jave servlet requests will get routed to Tomcat for processing.

4) Tomcat is not an application server as they are usually defined
(i.e., commercial, with enterprise level support, etc.). However, for
most usage of server-side Java technology, Tomcat performs nearly as
well as other application servers such as WebLogic and Websphere. And
you cannot beat the price ;>

HTH,

Ben Ricker

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 13:49, jie li wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using tomcat4.0 as my web hosting server on linux
> 8.0. Linux has apache http server. Should I use it?
> >From my understanding, Apache Http server is only used
> to handle http request and distribute those requests
> to application server. Is tomcat 4.0 a web server and
> application server? Can I just use tomcat as my web
> hosting?
> Thanks,
> Jie

Ben Ricker <bricker@wellinx.com>