httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:46:54 GMT
On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 00:55, Steve wrote:
> Hey,
>         Ive been using apache for a few years now and i am looking towards
> to upgrade to apache 2. I just wanted to know if many people have problems
> when updateing and how they find apache 2 compared to apache 1.3.x. Also has
> apache 2 been stable for people?
I've got both 1.3.x & 2.0.x servers running - there is no noticable
difference for a fairly normal, low-to-medium-volume web site.

I transfered my main home-site with no problems at all.
We transfered the "company's" main site, again, no real problems (we had
to spin-off another server for some stuff we'd got from a third-party,
but we'd installed the proxying stuff, so *I* think we came out ahead :)

There are a couple of issues surrounding the build process, but they can
be understood very easily.

Basically, standard (x)html & cgi will not care.

Mod_perl (and it's derivatives) require more work.

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty