httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Ricker <bric...@wellinx.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rotatelogs and analog
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:20:30 GMT
I use webalizer for my stats. I just call it BEFORE I call my logrotate
command line (logrotate is sweet cheese, if you ask me; it blows
rotatelog out, IMHO). S, my logrotate script looks like this:

/bin/webalizer /usr/local/apache/access_log
/bin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf

Webalizer sweeps through the log. Since it keeps track of what line it
parsed last, it will only add those records it did not parse already.
Then, logrotate does its magic (and gzips that puppy to boot).

Ben Ricker

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:38, stuff wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 11:16 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>

> > Hi, i'm using rotatelogs in the following format:
> >
> > CustomLog "|rotatelogs /usr/web/logs/www.example.org/access_log
> > 604800" common
>
> I amusing Cronolog to rotate my logs. It is very nice, it only doesn't
> support gzipping the logs afterwards.
>
> > which works fine. However I want to use analog and reportmagic to
> > process and display the stats
> > the question is, how do i let analog know which is the latest log file
> > to use as they are obviously
> > all named as access_log.xxxxxx and change on a weekly basis ? Does
> > anyone have an ultra
> > cunning way of doing it ?
>

> This may not work for you, but I found a very nice, although a bit
> slower than analog, log analyzing program called awstats. The config
> file allows you to use its' own variables to use an offset for the
> proper logfile to process.
>
> It also allows for live updating of your log files (they recommend
> updating the stats multiple times per day if you have huge log files).
> It also creates very reports. No pie charts, but nice nevertheless.
>
> http://awstats/sourceforge.net - gpl licensed.
>
> Dale

Ben Ricker <bricker@wellinx.com>
Wellinx.com