httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:28:01 GMT
On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 12:20, Michael Klama wrote:
> I do have one other question for now.  At what point do I need more than
> one static IP address?
.. when you have more than one computer
(or more than one network card in one computer, and no helpful & savvie
techie people to help you.

Seriously, I have a workstation (linux, as it happens) with a single
network card [and a single (static) IP number].

On this system, I have the following httpd installed:

Apache 2.0.x, with 4 virtual hosts (one of which is a proxy)
Apache 2.0.x + mod-perl
Apache 2.0.x + ssl
Apache 1.3.x + ssl
Apache 1.3.x + mod_perl

I'm using a combination of aliased host names[1] and port numbers to
distinguish between the various web sites.

[1] For example: foo.me.com, which has an IP number of 1.2.3.4
       foo1.me.com is an alias for foo.me.com,
       foo2.me.com is another alias for foo.me.com,
       vfoo.me.com is yet a third alias for foo.me.com.

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty