httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] MaxClients > 255
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:49:16 GMT
> RSS = Resident Set Size, which I believe is the portion of the process
that
> is actually resident in physical RAM, as opposed to swapped out to disk.
> think this discounts memory mapped files and stuff, but I don't know if it
> includes memory used as stack space.  Perhaps someone more clued-in could
> correct me?

Ahh, thanks.  So I looked in the man page for top, and what do you know, it
says what they mean!  ;-)

RSS  The total amount of physical memory used by the task,
            in kilobytes, is shown here. For ELF  processes  used
            library  pages  are counted here, for a.out processes
            not.

 SIZE The size of the task's  code  plus  data  plus  stack
            space, in kilobytes, is shown here.

So, it appears, that RSS does not include stack space.

-Jacob