httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.26 on Sun
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:48:46 GMT
> 1) Hardware:  E4500 with 8G ram 8 400mhz cpus

What is the NT box running?

> 3) Currently still testing so I have not opened it up to users.  We do
have
> users accessing the same data on an NT box which is responding much
> quicker.

How many users?

>  5)  Now for the how slow is slow.  I only
>  have the quickness of the NT server to
>  compare it to but the unix box is much more
>  powerful and is usually at least 75% idle.

But how slow is the Sun server?  We need numbers.  All you've said so far is
that the NT is the quickness, the Sun is the slowness, and that the Sun is
usually idle.

What you may be seeing is the 400mhz processor vs whatever the NT box is
running.   A single 1.2ghz machine serving 2 people is going to perform
better than a 400mhz X 8 machine.  But, when the load starts to climb, the
slower multiprocessor machine will be able to scale much better, having a
much more flat response curve than the single 1.2ghz machine.

run ab with a large number of connections retreiving a dynamicly generated
file against the NT and then against the Sun machine to see what I mean.
You should see an initial lead with the NT box that drops off quickly, where
the sun machine should pretty much respond the same throughout the entire
test.

-Jacob