httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Server Farm
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:18:55 GMT
> With respect to managing 200 apache installations, I see a few options...
>
> 1. Compile source on each server
> 2. Compile source on master server and copy out to all servers (all
> servers are the same hardware, but 90% have 2 CPU's and 10% have 1 CPU)
> 3. Use an RPM (standard? or build a custom RPM?)
> 4. Some other method

1. Bad idea.  It'll make you want to cry.
2. This could work, the CPU and H/W aren't as big of an issue as the OS.  1
or multi-CPU has no affect on Apache's binary.

Linux has some major binary compatabilty issues, so you can't (for example)
compile on a RedHat system and fully expect it to work on a Mandrake system.

Combine this with rsync or rdist and you have an easy way to push upgrades
across all servers.
3. Not a bad option, but basically the same thing as 2.  You are at the
mercy of RedHat for upgrades though.  Not an issue if you can wait a week or
two for a patched version to come out.
4. NFS mounted partition, like Mr. Owen suggested would work well.  It is
one point of failure, so you would have to design your system accordingly,
preferably with a RAID1 or RAID 5 setup with a warm standby server and daily
backups to tape (stored offsite).

-Jacob