httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] GET line length limit?
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:09:47 GMT
> I know that there's a limit to how many characters a URL can include
> when using a GET method for form submission.  Where (if anywhere) is
> this limit set/enforced?  Is it an environment varibale that is
> hardware/OS dependent?  Is it inside Apache?  Is it in my head (oops,
> sorry, old Who lyrics...)?

Well, it's a little bit of all of those.  The HTTP RFC defines a 414 as
Request-URI too long, but does not specify what too long is.  IIRC, apache
has a limit of 4k, and IE won't even attempt to send more than 2040 (or
thereabouts [IIRC], it isn't a sane number) of urlencoded characters.

10.4.15 414 Request-URI Too Long

   The server is refusing to service the request because the Request-URI
   is longer than the server is willing to interpret. This rare
   condition is only likely to occur when a client has improperly
   converted a POST request to a GET request with long query
   information, when the client has descended into a URI "black hole" of
   redirection (e.g., a redirected URI prefix that points to a suffix of
   itself), or when the server is under attack by a client attempting to
   exploit security holes present in some servers using fixed-length
   buffers for reading or manipulating the Request-URI.

-Jacob