httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OT Answering mail--without causing pain
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:00:28 GMT
Gary Turner wrote:

> >When leaving the full message, I keep the mailer's "separator" while I
use
> >the "N.N. wrote:" heading when I'm going to comment on quotes.
>
> "N.N. wrote:" is plenty.

Well, as I stated, I use that when I comment parts of the message. As I do
in this one, and most of the time.

> This is a terrible waste of screen space.  The name is enough.  We know
> it's written to the list.  The date/time stamp is irrelevant.  We know
> the subject from the thread and your own subj: line.

I know. The reason why I keep all those lines is as a signal, along with
that my sig is before them, that my part is done and the following is intact
and I haven't touched it.

> This is all that is really needed to maintain context.  The core of the
> post lies within the web site.

In this case, I agree. I thought that I should have used that link as
"context marker", but a little to late :(

> If someone wants to read the whole thing, it is trivial
> to scroll back up the thread or go to the site..

Not all can do that; many e-mail clients have problems showing thread
structure perfectly. I also think a message should be somewhat
"self-contained". It happens me from time to time that I never got the
message another was a reply of.

In short, 90-95% of the time I try to provide context through quotes that I
comment on. The exeption to that is when I want to comment on a message as a
whole, and can't pick a small quote from it that can represent the entire
message, or similar situations. In these cases, I include a copy of the
original message, for completeness sake (ie. I'm not quoting it, which I try
to indicate by leaving it intact).

Regards,
Robert Andersson