httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache - database locks
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:10:24 GMT
> I don't actually restart it... as said, I moved rotatelogs from cron.daily
> to cron.weekly, and that's about it :s  Can I alter the rotatelogs to
> restart gracefull?

Instead of kill -HUP, use kill -USR1.  I'm not sure if rotatelogs is
configurable or not about these sort of things.  I do know that logrotate
(the std *ix log rotator) can issue the USR1.

Another option, if you don't care about every single little log entry, is to
not use rotatelogs or logrotate, but instead write a little cron script that
does:

cp access_log to access_log.weekly
cat /dev/null > access_log

This will do almost the same thing as rotating the logs, except you may miss
one or two [dozen] entries between the cp and zeroing out the logfile.
However, it won't require you to shutdown apache at all.

-Jacob