httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Elser" <jEl...@ck8.uscourts.gov>
Subject [users@httpd] Remote User Variable
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:12:20 GMT
I want to pass the user's login to my script.  My httpd.conf file has this:
<Directory "/local/web/htdocs/coa/secure/shell">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "By Invitation Only"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/bin/apachepw
Require user jde hml skt
</Directory>

I get prompted for a login and password and I'm able to login in.   I then have another script
that checks for the user name.

My script contains this code (the script then goes into a series of if statements):
$uname = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};

But $uname is not being set to the user's login.

When I installed apache, I simply downloaded the binary version of it and did a pkgadd on
my solaris 8 system.  Do I need to add an apache module and compile apache before I can determine
who gets prompted for a login and password? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks,
John