httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] help :(
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:02:59 GMT
> [Tue Dec  3 13:15:01 2002] [warn] (24)Too many open files: unable to
> open a file descriptor above 15, you may need to increase the number of
> descriptors
> [Tue Dec  3 13:15:01 2002] [error] (24)Too many open files: could not
> open transfer log file /www1/J/jderaeymaeckers/logs/admin.youthopia.be.
>
> These messages keep repeating themselves.

You didn't specify an OS, so I'm going to assume Linux here.

You need to increase the number of available concurrent file descriptors for
whatever user apache is running as.  You can increase the global number of
file descriptors by echoing a value to /proc/sys/fs/file-max, or you can
increase it per user (if per-user limits are enabled) with the ulimit
command (bash only, try limit if you are using another shell).

> I've tried to recompile apache with -DFD_SETSIZE=65535 without result.

Not sure what that does.  15 (from above) is a really, really low number,
I'm guessing that you have some sort of per-user limits enabled ?  You might
want to set whatever user apache runs as to have unlimited descriptors.

-Jacob