httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:31:32 GMT
Justin
You can run me through simulation anytime!!  In a nutshell...great
explanation.  Thanks.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Williams [mailto:justin@naturalwebs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 3:22 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

Here's the scoop on DNS, in a very small nutshell:

Remember old television?  The Adams Family?  Remember their address?
Bear
with me here..  this is old stuff...  They lived at 1313 Mockingbird
Lane.
So, keep that relationship in mind: Adams Family's House = 1313
Mockingbird
Lane.  Now Gomez and Thing most assuredly did not share teh same
residence in
that house, right?  Thing crashed in a cigar box...

So, Consider Lurch to be your web server, Apache.  Apache keeps track of
where
Gomez and Thing both live.  Seperate rooms.  If a visitor comes to the
house
to visit Gomez, Lurch took the visitor to the library, or torture room,
or
wherever Gomez was.  If that visitor wanted to see Thing, Lurch too them
smoke a cigar...

With me so far?

So Lurch = Apache
Gomez = Web 1.
Thing = Web 2.
1313 Mockingbird Lane = IP Address of both websites.

Now, think about small towns in America.  Almost invariably, there is
one old
busybody who knows everything about everybody.  That busybody is the
DNS.  A
visitor to the town asks that busybody where Gomez Adams lives, and gets

pointed to 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Likewise, a packet on the net looking for web 1, gets pointed by the DNS
the IP address.
Apache (Lurch) resides on that IP address, as well, and, when that
packet
arrives looking for Gomez, Lurch (Apache) takes him to the right room
(the
directory where Web 1 is housed).

For the record, yes, this is exactly how I describe the process in my
Web
Design and Management class...  ;-)

On Thursday 05 December 2002 01:13 am, Michael Klama wrote:
> This server will be in house and I plan on getting a static IP but was
> unsure if it was necessary.  Ideally I plan on having a web hosting
> service that I run and am in the process of changing the 4 sites I
> currently have under contract from a hosting service to my own server.
> I have not had to think about all of the necessary components
> previously.  For the time being I can use the same Linux server for
DNS
> and for the web server but once it is set up I will start advertising
it
> and hopefully will soon need more equipment to cover both DNS and
> hosting.  My question after being so long winded is about the IP
address
> of the machine.  I assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that I need a
> static IP for the DNS and the DNS will then distribute incoming
requests
> to the proper location.  Lets say that Machine1 is also DNS1 and WEB1
> then Machine1 has IP xxx.xxx.xxx and a request comes in for site
number
> 3 on the server then the DNS will point the request to site number 3
and
> with each request for a different site the DNS will point the request
in
> the correct place?
>
> Mike

DNSs
> of
> its own to handle the websites we host.  Either way, if you are going
> have
> multiple websites on there, then you need to have access to update the
> DNS
> server on a regular basis.  Every time you add a domain, you need to
be
> able
> to update...
> If you are going to be serving up multiple sites to the world, then
yes,
> you
> are going to need a static IP address.  It is possible to use dynamic,
> but
> that would *really* suck updating all of them every time your IP
> changes...
>
> On Wednesday 04 December 2002 01:20 pm, Michael Klama wrote:
> > This will be a production server hosting multiple sites out to the
>
> rest
>
> > of the world.
> > Mike
> >
> > Visit our web site for great deals on Computers and Hardware and for
> > insightful and unique reviews of the latest hardware offerings by
all

> of
>
> > the major manufacturers. www.l-and-m-associates.com

FQDN